Fat Nancy Loves Ketchup… Lots of Ketchup. If you often find yourself looking for an excuse to eat something with huge dollops of ketchup, then look no further.
Fat Nance brings you a match made in heaven (or at least in New York). Here’s her recipe for grilled cheese with jalapeños and tomatillos which highlights some of the ways that you can bring sweet, sour and hot flavors into your sandwich.
so wrong, it’s right…
- Combine jalapeño, lime juice, corriander and brown sugar. Mix thoroughly and set aside for at least ten minutes.
- Using the palms of your hands, lightly press the tomatillo slices between two paper towels to draw out the excess liquid. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the cheddar on one of the white bread slices. Drain the jalapenos and corriander, reserving the lime juice. Sprinkle the jalapeños and corriander on top of the cheddar cheese. Add the gruyere, followed by the gouda, followed by the tomatillo slices. Put the second slice of bread on top and microwave for twenty seconds to pre-melt the cheese.
- Meanwhile, melt one tablespoon butter in skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwich in the middle of the butter and press on top with a spatula. When the sandwich is flattened, use the spatula (or a butter knife, if you prefer) to spread the remaining butter on top of the sandwich.
- When the bottom half turns a golden color, flip the sandwich. Press down again with the spatula, and fry until the other half is golden brown and the cheese is melted. If necessary, flip the sandwich again to keep it from burning.
- Transfer to a plate and cut in quarters. Brush with the reserved lime juice, or set aside for dipping and serve.